Dietary choices can protect your heart from disease as you age.
The Mediterranean Diet offers suggestions for food substitutions to improve your heart health:
- eat meals based on plants: fruits and vegetables, whole grains, beans and nuts
- substitute herbs and spices for flavor instead of salt
- restrict meat intake to a couple of times per month, and eat chicken or fish twice a week
- substitute olive or canola oil for butter
- choose low-fat/fat-free options for dairy
Robert G. Tupac, DDS, FACP, Inc., Diplomate, American Board of Prosthodontics (661) 325-1275 | www.drtupac.com 5060 California Ave., #170, Bakersfield, CA 93309