The statistics are alarming:
- one-quarter of all patients never fill prescriptions at all
- 10% decide not to fill them because the doctor hasn't explained how the drug will help
- of those who fill prescriptions, 50% do not take the medications correctly because they misunderstood the instructions
- of patients with chronic illness, 30% to 85% decide not to refill their prescriptions because they don't know how the drug is helping them, or don't know how to manage a side effect
- patients usually do not tell their doctors they are not taking their medication
If you are concerned that your medications no longer seem to be effective, ask your doctor if there are new medications that can help, or of the dosage needs to be changed.
Robert G. Tupac, DDS, FACP, Inc., Diplomate, American Board of Prosthodontics (661) 325-1275 | www.drtupac.com 5060 California Ave., #170, Bakersfield, CA 93309