Are you looking for one all-around exercise that tones and strengthens muscles and provides a cardiovascular workout? Try a burpee.
This is how it goes:
- start standing, feet shoulder width apart, arms down by your sides
- bend your knees and squat, keeping your back straight
- get into a pushup position by putting your legs out behind you and your hands on the floor
- do a push up and then pull your legs into your chest
- go from a squat to standing to jumping up off the floor
Eventually, this becomes a continuous motion--stand, drop, push, jump. Be sure to keep your back straight, stomach tight and stay balanced. Doing more and doing them faster gives the cardiovascular benefit. Experts say if you can do five to ten at once each day, by working muscles in the upper and lower body simultaneously, after a month you'll be in better shape.
Robert G. Tupac, DDS, FACP, Inc., Diplomate, American Board of Prosthodontics (661) 325-1275 | www.drtupac.com 5060 California Ave., #170, Bakersfield, CA 93309